Monday, August 3, 2009

Introduction to me...

Hello! I'm a new-ish stepmom. I've only legally been a stepmom for the last 11 months. Holy Crap, I just realized my anniversary is next month. I've really been a "stepmom" since April of 2006 when my now hubby was deployed.

Ok... so the introduction will probably take several posts to actually post. I'm 27. My hubby is 41. We didn't realize the other's age until a month into dating... I apparently can't add b/c I knew he had teenagers! hehe! SO I met my hubby about 4.5 years ago. 1 yr in, he deployed to Iraq and halfway through his deployment, I started helping with the kids... that's why I say that I have been a stepmom since April 2006. I don't have regular stepdaughters... the Older one was in Juvie when I met my hubby, the Younger one on her way. I didn't know what I was getting into. Even with all the insanity in the last couple years, I wouldn't change any of it.

Anyway... they'll be other posts about the kids. Basically, their birth mom, who lives 8 miles down the road, couldn't/can't give her kids the time of day, so that's why I've been at this mom thing (and i say mom thing b/c while I'm a stepmom, I do all the mom stuff, period) for a long time.

My hubby and I are both prior service Army. He's retired Army (but still works on post) and I was medically separated from the Army about 2.5 years ago (after 7 yrs), I still work on post too. It's difficult to leave the Army life and go completely into the civilian world. We're both Communications Specialists, hense the nerd name for my blog.

I have 2 stepdaughters, one 18, one 20. They were 13 and 16 when I started dating their dad. Neither live with us anymore. The younger one used to, but she was removed from the household as soon as legally possible. It was HORRIBLE for a long time here. More to come on that. The older one never lived with us, but we've had a hell of a time with her. She's finally doing well and being a functioning citizen. She's also matured a lot and we now have a pretty good relationship. They are beautiful, smart, funny, and capable young women. Unfortunately, they either don't always believe that themselves or don't realize it. I love them to death, but they also manage to frustrate me soooo much! I think that coincides with the love thing. I'm learning to understand my emotions and frustrations, as I have no children of my own, nor will I ever.

One more thing... My hubby and I have an on call counselor. She's AWESOME and more of a friend than a counselor now, but she'll most likely be referred to as she helps me keep my sanity in my world of chaos.

Well, that's the brief intro... Hope it wasn't too boring. I figure even if no one reads this, I'll have the opportunity to get things out. Thanks for reading!!

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogging! That wasn't so hard, was it? Great 1st post. I hope to read many more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks... not as hard as I thought... I do need to get a pix up! :-) thanks for checking it out! ttyl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi and Welcome!!! Looking forward to reading many many more posts!!!!
    I've heard stepparenting girls (esp. teenagers) is the worst.
    Good for you for making it out alive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to bloggy land! "free therapy" as so many of us lovingly refer to it can really help. Just to know you're not alone. My Skids are quite a bit younger then yours but I’ve been in the gig as long as you and am thankful for the ladies I’ve come to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the welcome... It's AWESOME to finally be in touch with some other stepmoms. :-)

    ReplyDelete