Younger's been sharing my computer with me... it's taken forever, even though I've been typing an update.
OK... it's been a CRAZY two days. Oh my word. Sorry I couldn't get to a computer sooner to start updating, but I've either looked at a computer screen at work too long or cried too much to even attempt to look at a computer screen again.
So, first up... court. We went to court at 0900 with Older. She barely made it on time, which was a little frustrating... if you're going to be late... don't be late for sentencing. Whatever. She got here. I had run around town getting Character Reference letters signed by her boss and her old principal, plus wrote mine, and edited the crap out of Hubby's (you're not supposed to say, "there's no excuse, however, her mother never supervised her and didn't grow up with morals"... no matter HOW TRUE that is). I had each person sign a "To The Honorable Judge Self" one and a "To Whom It May Concern" one (just in case we randomly had a different judge than we'd had before). I made 4 copies. Originals for the judge, copies for the prosecutor, copies for the defense and a copy for our records. Older showed up with a "To Whom It May Concern" that BM half-assed. ONE COPY ONLY! I was soo pissed... is it that hard to press print 3 times? Whatever. Anyway, we got that stuff to the prosecution and when Older was called up, the lawyer gave the Judge his copies. The judge paused everything and read every single one. I'm not talking "glanced"... he READ every one. :-) YAY! So, they went through all the formalities after that. Defense said sorry, then the judge asked the Prosectutor for her recommendation. I've been in this court room at least 10 times. All I've ever heard the prosecutor recommend is the max sentence on the plea bargain. She said, I've read all of these references, your Honor, and the prosecution stands neutral. It sounds like Younger's turned her life around. My jaw DROPPED!!! YIPPEEEE!!!!! :-) The judge started talking and he said that there's always consequences to actions and he's very proud that she's done so well that people/family are willing to offer character references. But she still has a consequence. So he gave her 14 days and 5 years probation, and only $200 in court fees. WOOHOO!!!! That's TOTALLY a win!! :-) Understand that her offense carried a possible 5-15 years and up to $10,000 in fees. So, because she worked hard and got her life on track, she isn't separated from family for a long time! THEN this morning, her BF called. Older was released this morning by the judge. :-) Apparently, he had tosave face in the courtroom (he'd JUST made a comment about what she was charged with and how hard they are on people with those charges RIGHT before she was called up) and couldn't just give her probation in front of everyone. However, he felt jail wasn't the best option for her and getting her home, back to her job, on probation and with her son was in the best interest of her staying out of trouble. What a freaking blessing! It was awesome. :-) So, she's home, she's back on the work schedule, she's grateful, and she knows that if she hadn't straightened up, she'd be sitting in a jail cell for a LONG time.
Ok... then we have Younger. Younger actually showed up yesterday before 5. We told her to be home by 5 and she did. GF came inside for 2 seconds to say hi, and then went back to her place. We finished laundry and this and that, and then we sat down for a "talk". By talk, I mean Hubby sat her on the couch, turned to her and said. I'M talking. You will have your chance when I'M done. He said that he says is from him AND me. :-) He laid the smack down on her!!! :-) High points were... you WILL respect each member of this family... if you feel like you can't do that... there's the door. We expect you to be a part of this family and contribute to the family. If you can't do that... there's the door. We expect you to obey the house rules... again, there's the door. GF is NOT part of our family now matter how much "like family" she is to you. Deal with it. Sunday's are off limits unless WE make an exception. You don't have to participate, but you're not getting rides anywhere on Sundays and GF is not to come over on Sundays. That's family day. You want to claim to be an adult... stop throwing freaking temper tantrums. Children throw temper tantrums. Act like a child and you'll be treated like one. Act like an adult, you'll be treated like one. What Cristine says goes. Period. I better not hear from Cristine while I'm in CA that you're acting up. IF that happens... and she boots you... it's from me too. Oh my goodness.... it was SOOO good! :-) Anyway, there were no arguments... she said she understood. We talked briefly with the counselor b/c we'd worked things out before our call. Younger set up a time to talk with her the next day.
Younger actually called her that time. They had a great conversation. I asked D if Younger was really ready to be home and she said yes.
Since our big talk... things have been going great. No arguments, no tension, relationships are building. No nagging... I'm picking my battles and doing rather well at it. :-) We had a family day yesterday after work. We got Halloween stuff (we bought Younger a costume because she wasn't being a 2nd grader at the place... totally not selfish... very different change... we offered to buy her one and she couldn't find anything b/c she was looking at less than $20 costumes... i asked her to pick out her fav and we ended up getting it for her) and then came home. We carved pumpkins until just about bed time. It was a great day. :-)
Today was great too. Younger came to work with me. She was different at work this time than the last times. She wasn't needy or whining about anything. She was patient and helpful. She came with me b/c she had an interview for a job she's been talking about since she came to live with us. Unfortunately, she kinda blew it. :-( Her GF was there and apparently they've been fighting lately, and she said that the GF kept talking to her the whole time and broke her concentration. :-( She was pretty bummed and really mad, but then I put on her favorite songs and got her a milkshake. All is well in her world. :-) She got some confidence again... :-) It's going to take a lot of work... but much like marriage I'm in for the long haul. I'm going to continue to learn how to deal with different things with Younger and how to work with her to assist her with her anger/patience issues.
OK... this is getting REALLY long, but I want to update on Older. Older was released after less than 24 hours in jail. Apparently, the judge didn't really want to give her any time... only probation b/c she's been doing sooo well. Well, after she was booked in and court was closed for the day, he called her lawyer and let him know he was releasing her. She's back home, less than a day later, she still has the 5 years probation.... BUT, she's back with her son, already called work and got back on the schedule and is soo grateful. I reminded her (when she called me after she got her phone... YAY), when she said it was because of the character references, that without her getting her butt in gear and doing so great, there wouldn't have been character references for the court date. I told her SHE is the one who did it for herself. I reminded her that HARD WORK always beats the easy way out. :-)
Ok... gonna go. Things are going well here and I haven't had a headache in 2 days. :-) YAY! Thanks for reading!
Friday, October 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm so glad that things went well for y'all!
ReplyDeleteCongrats!
What a great post! Congratulations to Older, and to your hubby for being strong with Younger. I hope things continue to stay positive :)
ReplyDeleteHappy Halloween!
That is great to hear that Older didn't have to spend much time in jail!
ReplyDeleteAlso good to hear that Younger is getting it together.
Things are definitely getting better. Younger had her head glued to the phone last night, but I was supposed to be doing HW anyway. I don't mind her talking on the phone, but 4 hours with one person seems a bit much... that might just be me... :-P I don't think it is though. Anyway, still no arguments. Older's probably dropping by today too, so that will be nice. Thanks for the encouragement!
ReplyDelete